Thursday, May 6, 2010

It's already won the Poolitzer and it hasn't even been pooblished

Alas, it is only my second post, and I have already abandoned my original plan to title every post with a line from Aladdin. All is not completely lost, because this title is a line from a movie that I find more entertaining than I probably should.

I have been thinking of a great and important subject for my second post, but I cannot decide what the purpose of a blog is. As I mentioned last time, I would like to win many prizes with this blog. At trivia I was talking with my friends, and we somehow wondered if a blog could win a Pulitzer Prize. I have continued wondering exactly what a blog is for. I could use it to vent my personal frustrations, hoping no one would read my most personal thoughts. That would make it more like a diary, and if that is the case, I should probably just get a diary so I can hide it under my bed. I could also use it to vent my most personal thoughts secretly hoping people will read the blog, or I could just be an exhibitionist, wanting everyone to see how strange and great I am. While the ability to expose myself without the risk of a fine or jail time is comforting, I want my blog to be something else.

While looking at the no doubt factually accurate Wikepedia page on the Pulitzer Prize, I discovered that online-only news can qualify for a prize. There is also a category for commentary. I think I can win one of those. Lord knows my Brendan Frasier-like good looks and firsthand knowledge of gin will help me in my quest!

I would like this blog to hopefully stimulate conversation on subjects I find interesting among my hopefully growing readership (I am calling you out, Beth). If I hope to graduate to the editorial prize, I must be able to "influence public opinion in what [I] conceive to be the right direction." Therefore, I would like you all to disagree with me from time to time so I can then convince you of the correct way to see things. Now that all of that is out of the way, we can get back to the business of blogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment